Friday, November 27, 2009

Happy Thanksgiving!


Well, I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving! We sure did and I ate way too much, too! One thing that used to stress me out around the holidays, was how do I cook for my food allergic child and still make a delicious meal for everyone else? One thing I do, so I don't go crazy cooking two separate meals, is keep things simple. I figure out what I'm going to make for the whole meal, figure out what he probably won't eat, and adapt the rest of the recipes, if needed. Usually, I find there isn't too much adapting to do though. Since he has had issues with food from the beginning I have found he likes things pretty much plain. Here is what we had that he could eat if he wanted:

BBQ pork-North Carolina style
Ham-honey glaze
fruit salad
olive loaf bread
green beans made with chicken broth
sweet potatoes
black olives
celery with peanut butter(appetizer)
Sucatash
Pumpkin Pie

While I cooked other dishes for the rest of the family also, I figured this was plenty. I had even found a vegetable spread, as a butter substitute but he wasn't having any of it. After six years with no butter, he really doesn't know what he is missing and frankly doesn't care! Oh well, I'm sure he is better off without it anyway! I'm going to include in this post the recipe I used for the pumpkin pie. He didn't eat any of it, of course, but did try a bite! I was pleasantly surprised with how it turned out, other than over cooking the crust a bit, it tasted like your usual pumpkin pie and even firmed up, which is a concern anytime you don't use eggs!
Enjoy!

* 1 1/4 cups pumpkin puree, canned or fresh
* 3/4 cup sugar
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger (I use 1/2 tsp)
* 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon (I use 2 tsp)
* 1 teaspoon all-purpose flour
* 2 eggs, lightly beaten (3T. water and 1T. ground flax seed)
* 1 cup evaporated milk, undiluted (coconut milk)
* 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
* 1 unbaked pastry shell (9-inch)

Preparation:

Before you get started mix the water and ground flax seed and let sit, usually around 15 min., or until it slightly gels up.

Combine pumpkin, sugar, salt, spices, and flour in a medium mixing bowl. Add substitute for eggs; mix well. Add coconut milk, and vanilla; mix well. Pour into pastry-lined pie pan. Bake at 400° for 15 minutes (I bake for 20 minutes); reduce heat to 350° and bake about 35 minutes longer, or until center is set.

The pie still starts off soft-set, but after cooling firms up fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment