Friday, January 22, 2010

How do I know if my FA child is at a Healthy Weight?

From the time I found out my son had problems with dairy, one of my fears was that he would be malnourished and not gain the proper amount of weight. If you've read our bio. on how we got started, then you'd know our trip to the nutritionist was not very helpful. I'm not knocking nutritionists, just the one we went to was not up to speed on food allergies and provided little information on how to increase his body weight without dairy products. Since then I've learned a lot and am still learning everyday. Just the other day I came across a fellow blogger who uses avacado oil in a lot of her FA child's food. I had never heard of using this particular oil, but apparently it is a good one to "sneak" into their smoothies, etc. as it doesn't have any noticeable flavor. I've yet to try this, but plan to, on my next trip to the health food store.

Anyway, I thought I'd include a link here to a BMI calculator I found at About.com:Pediatrics. BMI stands for Body mass index and if you know your childs height and weight, you can plug them into their program and they will be able to tell you if your child's weight falls in the under, over, or healthy weight range. BMI is calculated by taking a person's weight and multiplying it by 703, you then divide by the person's height in inches and get a percentile. Anything between 5 and 85% is healthy, above 85% and they may be overweight, below 5% and they may be underweight. Check them out here.

As always, if you have any concerns check in with your child's doctor.

In health,

Jennifer

No comments:

Post a Comment