Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Happy St. Patrick's Day

Since we've moved I've noticed that my sons current regime for allergy prevention and management has not been holding up. He has developed and kept a nagging little cough and mysterious rash around his lips that comes and goes. Well after developing a fever, said cough grew worse. We took a trip to the doctors office and after a round of antibiotics and steroids, I decided it was time to make another appointment with the allergist. We went last week and they have prescribed an inhaler containing a low dose of steriods he is to get every night before bed, plus a "rescue" inhaler. When I asked the doctor about the cause of his coughing and linking it with moving, I really didn't get much feedback. I'm all for making my child better, but really would like to know the underlying cause, mainly to see if there is something that can be done to avoid the allergen and keep use of medication to a minimum, you know? At our next visit we plan on doing the annual skin testing, to see where he stands with his allergies, if they are better or worse than they were a year ago. I'll let you know how that goes! In the mean time I plan on doing some more research on elimination diets, etc. I found one site that really has a lot of good tips. You can view it here.


Also, I found a great video by the Mayo clinic that shows you how to use a metered dose inhaler. Teaching a six year old how to use one has been a challenge, but we're getting it down now, thanks to this video. See it here.

No comments:

Post a Comment