Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Back to School with Allergies!

Well, today was the first official day back to school for my children. Things were hectic around here this morning, to say the least! Can you believe one of the things I let slip under my radar this year was addressing my sons allergies with his new teacher? I realized last night at open house I had yet to do that and with all the other new students and their parents vying for my son's new teacher's attention, it was obvious that was not the time to do it! So learn from my mistake and address this much earlier on! If I was going to do this over I would 1. set up an appointment with my son's new teacher and other staff members that will be responsible for his care. 2. make sure I have all his prescriptions up to date, and 3. come up with an action plan, a sort of expectations I have for his teacher and others to follow should he have a reaction. I found these free, downloadable, forms from the Food Allergy and Anaphylaxis Network to help me. 4. This is a no brainer, but here goes: Take the medications and action plan to the appointment and clearly explain my expectations to those who will be providing his care. Grab your action plan forms here!

No comments:

Post a Comment