Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Dairy-Free, Egg Free Sausage Gravy Recipe

Yesterday evening I was searching around the kitchen trying to figure out what we were going to have for dinner. Being that it's almost time to go grocery shopping the cupboards were looking a little thin. I decided I had enough stuff on hand to make breakfast for dinner and it turned out pretty good. One of the things I made was biscuits and gravy. Not exactly lo-cal but yummy. As I was making it I figured maybe someone new to food allergies might like the recipe so here goes!

Dairy-Free Sausage Gravy
what you need:
-1 lb. ground sausage
-2 cups rice milk(regular not vanilla)
-about a cup of flour, give or take
-salt and pepper
-a pan
-um, oh yeah, a stove to cook it on would be nice too :)
-dairy-free store bought biscuits(I used Pillsburys Crescent rolls last night because that was what I had on hand!) Always check your labels!

O.k brown your ground sausage in the pan until no longer pink. Drain, but save the grease. Set aside cooked sausage in a bowl(whoops you need a bowl too!) return grease to the pan. On medium heat slowly add flour to the grease stirring constantly until it is thick, but not clumpy. Then slowly add the rice milk, stirring continously, until it looks like a thick soup. Salt and pepper to taste. Fold in your sausage that you set aside and voila', yummy sausage gravy! Serve hot over biscuits!

5 comments:

  1. OH Thank you, My daughter has several food allergies and we are still finding new ones weekly, I was drawn to your page for this recipe, but I believe God put you in my path, Ive been so frustrated with not KNOWING what to feed her and what not, up all night with her screaming in pain, and since shes less than 2 not being able to tell me what hurts. I am so grateful for your page. In addition, I am also a THIRTY ONE REP!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you came by Grateful Mom. I'm so sorry about your little one being in pain. I do remember a lot of that with my son in the early years, sometimes it was ears, sometimes stomach, other times I could only guess. I hope some of what I share here helps you on your journey. Feel free to e-mail me, if you have any questions or just want to vent!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I normally make sausage gravy with heavy cream. I have friends who are GF and Dairy Free. I needed to find a recipe that would work and retain the flavor. This one worked! The gravy was awesome...=) I didn't get it as thick as I usually like it but it still had the same flavor. I just need to adjust it some. Overall it was a great recipe. Thank you for posting this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been searching for recipes that are soy, dairy and egg free because my daughter also has multiple food allergies. I am so grateful to have stumbled across your blog! Would you mind if I copied some of your recipes to my blog and linked it back to you?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome Nyxie, so glad you stopped by and yes you may copy my recipes as long as you link them back. Thanks for asking and good luck!

    ReplyDelete