Wednesday, October 27, 2010

What's for Dairy/Egg free Dinner?


As the cold weather approaches here in North Carolina I will be "firing" up the old crockpot more often for some great soups, chili's, and simply inviting meals that dish out comfort and bring back great memories. Here's something I made last night, that's simple, easy, and dairy/egg free!


Dairy/egg free Ham and Beans (I don't think this originally had dairy or egg in it, in case you were wondering!)

Ingredients needed:
1 pound of cubed ham
3 -15 ounce cans of chicken broth
1/2 chopped up onion
1 package of white northern beans(soaked overnight)
salt and pepper to taste
1/4 tsp. each:

dried basil
paprika
ground red pepper
2 tsp. minced garlic
crock pot
O.k. soak the beans according to the package directions (mine said overnight was best).

In the morning add the beans, chicken broth, chopped ham(already cooked from the deli or lunchmeat section), and the rest into your crockpot, stir until mixed thoroughly. I cooked this on low for about 3 hours and then cranked it up to high for another 5 hours. I'm sure it would do fine if you set it on low for about 6- 8 hours. Crock pot times will vary. I let mine go that long because that's when I was ready to eat. Delicious! Serves up nicely with some Pillsbury crescent rolls, but cornbread would be o.k. too!



3 comments:

  1. yum....we love ham and beans! i need to add them to the menu soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea, I will have the try that soon. I love using our crockpot and having our meal ready for us when we come home from work. Is a white northern beans the same as a navy bean I wonder...regardless I will try using a navy bean as I have a surplus of them right now for some reason.
    Allergy Mum - http://allergymum.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete