Monday, January 31, 2011

What's for Dairy/Egg Free Dinner?


O.k. I was way short on time today and need to go to the grocery store, desperately. Sound familiar? So, I was fishing around in the freezer and pantry for something for dinner and this is what I came up with! I haven't named it yet, but one of my children said it was her new favorite dinner. (Guess who is my new favorite child?) Just kidding, I love all my children the same! And the boy actually ate it all without complaining, not once. So here goes:

Ingredients needed:
One package of Chicken breast
one bag of frozen broccoli
2 bags of boil a bag brown rice(done in 10 min.)
3 Tbsp. butter substitue(I used Earth Balance)
2 Tbsp. olive oil
salt
pepper
1Tbsp. minced garlic
2-3 Tbsp. flour of choice
32 oz. box of chicken stock
pressure cooker-I love this, I can make healthy meals super quick with this!

All right, place your pressure cooker on medium heat, add olive oil, and chicken. Brown each side of chicken, salt and pepper them, to taste. While browning, add garlic. Once browned, add approximately 2 cups chicken stock and package of frozen broccoli, making sure not to exceed amount allowed by your pressure cooker. When in doubt follow your cooker's directions. Once all ingredients are added put the lid on, turn heat up to high, allow pressure to build, then turn heat down to medium-high. Cook 15 min., follow cookers directions to cool.

While chicken and broccoli are cooking boil rice. And start the sauce-the most complicated part!

For the sauce, set your pan on low-medium heat. Add butter substitute, melt. Once melted, slowly add the flour, stirring the whole time until thick and bubbly. Slowly add, approximately, 1 1/2 - 2 cups of chicken broth, stirring continously. Salt and pepper to taste. This takes a little practice and a watchful eye, but stay with it. If I can do it, I know you can! (Remember when I started out I couldn't even boil water). Voila. When the chicken is done, the broccoli will be very mushy, add both to the rice and pour the sauce over top. Yummm!

P.S. The picture above is not what my pressure cooker looks like. That is, I believe, a Duramatic. I just thought I'd include a picture, just in case someone didn't know what one looked like.

No comments:

Post a Comment